My virtual poetry programme, The Verandah, is part of the UK/Australia Season of Culture 2021/22. It kicks off in September / October and runs until late into 2022 – high quality timely poetry workshops, masterclasses, debates, readings, mindfulness & poetry sessions – all led by top UK & Aussie poets.
The theme of the Season is Where are we Now? My take on this is given COVID-19, the immense environmental and social challenges we face both locally and globally, who are we now in relation to our connection with our land and people? How can we describe, challenge or create new connections with our land and people in the 2020s? Poets are inherently courageous in searching for truth and meaning. Find out more about the wider Season HERE.
- A four-part workshop writing & editing together looking directly at the theme, courageous connections with land and people, in particular the understanding, solace and radical new ways of seeing, thinking and acting we need to face the climate and environmental emergency. My hunch is that we have only just skimmed the surface of what poetry can do so far.
- Exclusive masterclass, The Art of Sound with one of Australia’s most well known poets, Judith Beveridge. She’ll lead a unique approach to the sonic properties of vowels and consonants and how to use them effectively to enhance the meaning of a poem and add dramatic and emotional depth.
- Second masterclass, The Surreal Truth with 2020 Forward Prize Winner Caroline Bird, one of the hottest poets in the UK right now. Spend time with Caroline’s incredible creative imagination and take your writing to unexpected places.
- More masterclasses including Mona Arshi on the modern Ghazal.
- Two showcase readings of Australian and UK poets: 10th October (afternoon/evening Australia, morning UK) headlined by one of Australia’s most prestigious poets, Sarah Holland-Batt.
- Poetry & Mindfulness sessions.